The ISS National Lab has been awarded by NASA the responsibility of stimulating interest and managing the U.S. National Lab as a platform for basic and applied research onboard the International Space Station. Resumes are always accepted from science based talent including scientists and researchers interested in helping the ISS National Lab achieve success through utilization of the ISS.
As the manager of the ISS National Laboratory, the ISS National Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with the ISS National Lab is governed on the basis of competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
Current Career Opportunities
- Event SpecialistMelbourne, Florida
Core Position Summary:
The Event Specialist primary function is support outreach events conducted by the organization including administration, logistics, and on-site support. The Event Specialist is responsible for traveling to events around the US to be a representative for the company, lead/train/inspire team members working the booth as well as ensure our event experience is amazing for our booth visitors.
Travel: Candidate must be willing to travel approximately 25% of the time.
- Manage and coordinate show services for the various ISS National Laboratory exhibits, including: electrical, drayage, internet, furniture, cleaning, carpet, AV equipment, literature stand. Provide end-to-end coordination.
- Negotiate outreach contracts including management of vendors on event-related matters. Process invoices and payments and track against budget projections.
- Manage exhibit fees for conference booth space, secure housing, and badge registration for ISS National Laboratory or guest attendees.
- Set up attendee registration sites and reporting through Cvent event management tool.
- Prepare events with name tags, materials, notebooks, packages, gift bags, registration lists, seating, VIP guest coordination, etc.
- Serve as primary point of contact for onsite coordination, including troubleshooting problems, coordinating staff, lost shipments, etc.
- Manage the event schedules, project checklists, logistics plans, travel grids, collateral and promotional item inventory, and action lists
- Close out events and support lessons learned activities to help with proposing new ideas to improve the outreach planning and implementation process
- Manage trade show booth assets and inventory. Identify areas to improve and enhance the show experience to best reflect the ISS National Laboratory brand.
- Assist with the event business case process to ensure that the appropriate data is gathered in order for ISS National Laboratory to make informed decisions on which events to participate in and the appropriate level of participation.
- Participate in monthly planning meeting, update and maintain event calendar in Salesforce.
- Primary contact for the Concur travel portal, for employees and sponsored travelers by monitoring travel requests are approved timely and resolving issues with travel booking.
- Provides employee guidance, training, and director support as needed with Concur travel portal.
- Make process improvement recommendations for Concur travel booking system based on lessons learned.
- Support logistics and planning for ISS National Laboratory employee all-hands meetings, special workshops, board meetings, or other special meetings as needed.
- Concur Travel Portal: Primary contact for the travel management system. Manage system for approval processing, audit questions for policy violations or justifications, updating travel profiles, maintaining system compliance with policy guidelines. Scheduling travel for employees and/or sponsored travelers as needed. Monitor travel requests are approved timely and resolving issues with travel booking.
Essentials for the Role:
- Onsite event management experience
- Experience managing a team
- Strong organizational skills to meet strict deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism
- Ability to be flexible yet collaborative to meet objectives
- Strong project management skills
- Must be proficient in all office applications and operating systems, including Windows and Mac operating systems
- A polished personal professional presence
- Sales/brand ambassador experience is a plus
Education and Experience:
Event planning and coordination experience 4-6 years minimum. Bachelors Degree in Marketing or similar desired. Project management certification and or certified meeting planner desired.
About the ISS National Lab
The ISS National Lab Mission
The ISS National Lab is responsible for maximizing the value of the ISS to the nation by developing and managing a diversified R&D portfolio based on U.S. national needs for basic and applied research and by using the ISS as a venue for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational activities.
ISS National Lab Goals
Stimulate, develop, and manage the U.S. national uses of the ISS by other U.S. government agencies, academic institutions, and private firms. Develop tools and techniques to communicate the value of uses of the ISS National Laboratory and increase the return on the U.S. investment in the ISS.
ISS National Lab Strategies and Objectives
Identify the unique capabilities of the ISS that provide breakthrough opportunities for non-NASA uses in science and applications, technology development, and STEM education, including but not limited to human health, biological sciences, biotechnology, biological research, energy and biofuels, physical and materials science and development, engineering research and technology development, and Earth and space imaging and observations. Identify and prioritize the most promising research pathways, while ensuring diversity, without over-committing the resources of the ISS.
ISS National Lab Core Values
Passion for the Mission
We are inspired and driven by the International Space Station and the incredible opportunity ahead of us. We understand and are humbled by what others have sacrificed to build the ISS. We embrace the role that the ISS National Lab plays in shaping the future of space research by maximizing the impact of this incredible laboratory.
We are committed to our customers and understand that each and every one of us contributes to the user experience. As the conduits to the space station, we aim to do everything in our power to improve the customer journey and focus on our customer’s objectives.
We believe in the power of inclusion – that there is greater strength in working together to solve complex problems. We collaborate and build networks, harnessing the best ideas from inside and outside the organization. We treat our coworkers, partners, customers, and vendors with respect and appreciation.
We convey professionalism in all that we do. We communicate openly and transparently and use appropriate channels. We recognize that each employee is an ambassador of the ISS National Laboratory and contributor to the ISS brand.
We recognize the great responsibility that we have to maximize the use of the ISS to benefit life on Earth. We demonstrate good stewardship of our resources and put the mission above all else when making business decisions. We are accountable for our actions and expect our users, partners, and vendors to share in these values.
Committed to Excellence
We take pride in our work and aspire to be the best we can be. We adhere to the highest standards of our professions and adopt best practices. We embrace new ideas and explore innovative ways of working.