Join the International Space Station (ISS) U.S. National Laboratory team and help enable science in space to improve life on Earth.
The ISS is a state-of-the-art space-based laboratory that enables research not possible on Earth. As an ISS National Lab team member, you will help support investigators from all over the United States who are using this unique scientific platform for innovative research and development. Although we may not yet know the most important discovery to be gained from the ISS, we have already achieved many amazing breakthroughs.
Current Career Opportunities
- Commercial Innovation Manager (Biomanufacturing)Melbourne, FL (Kennedy Space Center area)
The Commercial Innovation Manager will support the development of a pipeline of research opportunities through various avenues to drive commercial utilization of the ISS National Laboratory. The focus area will be technology development, specifically in biological sciences, including pharmaceuticals, tissue engineering, and regenerative medicine.
This position will work with commercial partners for funding and research opportunities and is nationally focused. Although aerospace and non-space sectors are pursued, the emphasis is on non-traditional industries that may use the conditions in low Earth orbit (LEO). The Commercial Innovation Manager will support strategic efforts and seek to leverage the ISS as a testing ground for future products, possibly manufactured in space. Customers may include large corporations, start-ups driven through various channels, including accelerator agencies. The Commercial Innovation Manager will also work with payload developers as collaborators in the research efforts. The Commercial Innovation Manager will make frequent presentations to prospective partners, conference and webinar presentations, and host workshops.
This position reports to the VP, Programs & Partnerships and will be part of the team of other commercial innovation leaders for strategy development, identifying market opportunities and value propositions. This position is required to develop and foster strong working relationships with external business partners, collaborators in other government agencies, and industry groups that may benefit from access to LEO.
• Advanced degree in Science, Engineering, or Business
• Experience in technology development, advanced materials, or physical sciences
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Travel up to 50% of the time
• Advanced science degree (PhD)
• 3+ years’ experience in a related business development role
• Knowledge of space-based research is a plus
- Customer Relationship ManagerMelbourne, FL (Kennedy Space Center area)
This position is responsible for supporting the Commercial Innovation Managers in securing strategic flight projects and directly driving utilization projects. Goals will be established to focus on supporting the generation of key accounts and managing the acquisitions of smaller utilization projects.
The sales cycle will include translation of space-based capabilities and features (the vantage point of the station, microgravity, vacuum, temperature extreme, radiation, etc.) to research and technology demonstration projects in non-space sectors. Presentations to build awareness and educate non-traditional users on why they should use the ISS NL will be required at the first stages. As opportunities progress, the following steps include establishing one-to-one meetings where the Managers may bring in other subject matter experts, including science and operational internal or external resources.
This position will support the Commercial Innovation Manager for capturing strategy development, identifying new targets of opportunity, and generating CASIS' value propositions.
This position is required to develop, cultivate and foster strong working relationships with external business partners; manage customer relationships, and collaborate as needed with all other CASIS departments.
Customer/Principal Investigator and Commercial Implementation Partner relationship management
Support the Commercial Innovation Managers on capturing new customers that will benefit from research on the International Space Station US National Laboratory, assist with qualifying leads, and develop resources.
Schedule meetings with potential customers and present the CASIS value proposition and potential partnerships for flight opportunities.
Act as the customer relationship lead and support the orchestration of internal teams comprised science, portfolio, and operations personnel to mature opportunities and plans for customer contacting and capture.
Manage multiple flight projects/programs efficiently and professionally.
Maintain accurate program data, deliverable items, and material records using the internal CRM tool (Salesforce).
Support fundraising activities as needed.
Support conferences and events.
Travel up to 25% of the time.
Desired Skills and Knowledge:
2+ years experience in a related business development/customer management role
Knowledge of space-based research is a plus
Excellent communication skills as well project management and planning skills
BS Degree in Science, Engineering, and Business desired, others considered based on professional experience.
- Executive AssistantMelbourne, FL (Kennedy Space Center area)
The position will enhance the effectiveness and efficient performance of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) by providing exceptional administrative and project management support.
The position will handle confidential and sensitive information and must possess excellent organizational skills and communicate professionally and effectively with employees and external stakeholders. This position will use critical skills to ensure attention to detail and will perform many tasks independently.
Travel: Occasional Required
- Scheduling and managing an active calendar, maintaining constant coordination with the executive with respect to meetings and deliverables. Planning requires blocking time for travel and preparations by not over-scheduling the executive.
- Monitor the executive’s e-mail account by assessing and prioritizing messages, invitations, and correspondence. Provide relevant backup correspondence, track actions and deadlines.
- When required, attend internal meetings for the executive and provide a summary of the meeting.
- Assist the executive with senior leadership team coordination and meetings, including planning for the semi-annual strategic planning retreat and quarterly NASA management meetings by assisting with the agenda, scheduling, and logistics planning.
- Prepare memos, letters, reports, agendas, and presentations for a variety of meetings or audiences.
- Input and update data in the customer relationship management software, Salesforce, as needed.
- Plan and schedule all the executive’s travel, conference registrations, or other required logistics, and reconcile expenses and reimbursements.
Board of Directors and User Advisory Committee:
- Prepare the executive for quarterly board meetings by assisting the executive with the development of the quarterly executive report.
- In coordination with the Secretary, monitor meeting action items for the executive.
- Attend all board meetings attended by the executive to assist with recording actions and scheduling follow-up meetings.
- Provide support and meeting coordination for the regular meeting held by the User Advisory Committee.
- 8-10 years of experience in a similar corporate, aerospace, or government role desired.
- Strong project management experience or experience directly supporting an executive or c-suite is strongly preferred.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office with an ability to learn other company software applications.
- Able to manage and maintain a highly detailed and active daily schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism.
- Able to manage and prioritize special projects as required to meet strict deadlines.
- Able to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Must be flexible and available when the executive is on travel, responding and alerting the executive to changes in the travel or meeting schedule.
- The Assistant should be reachable after hours in the event of significant changes or issues requiring assistance.
- Portfolio Project ManagerMelbourne, FL (Kennedy Space Center area)
This position is responsible for project portfolio information management and customer relationship management software (“Salesforce”) content. The role will interface across multiple disciplines and departments and require excellent communication skills. This position requires the ability to reference external and internal information resources, apply analytical skills, and demonstrate strong presentation skills to deliver information and analysis for a diverse portfolio of technical research projects to support senior leadership decisions, stakeholder reporting, and marketing material content.
This position is also responsible for providing administrative support for the Portfolio Management department, including scheduling, data management, and project-level reporting. This position requires an aptitude for customer relationship management system modification and requires the greatest attention to detail.
- Assist with solicitation development, external subject matter expert recruitment and on-boarding, manage and oversee cross-functional research proposal evaluation (technical, business/value, feasibility, and compliance), prepare evaluation results for review and selection, and records results.
- Work across department lines to facilitate outstanding project and portfolio management actions. Provide portfolio management support to other departments and initiatives, as needed.
- Oversee content and work with System Architect to manage workflows in the Salesforce database. Socialize content and workflow additions and changes with affected departments and staff.
- Prepare presentations, metric reports, and dashboards for the staff.
- Serve as a trainer for new employees on general Salesforce functionality and utility. Prepare training packages covering project and portfolio management functions.
- Oversee the content of the weekly activity plan.
- Schedule and facilitate the weekly department staff meeting.
- Prepare presentation materials for the weekly portfolio review and bi-monthly project status review.
- Prepare minutes and assign and track actions from bi-monthly project status reviews and science communications content desk meetings.
- Develop reports and data to support portfolio status updates to external stakeholders.
- Maintain and update internal content through the company Intranet.
- Coordinate data collection for quarterly and annual report content.
- Work across departments to develop and manage process improvement initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent project management or related work experience and certification
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for internal and external communication
- Proficiency with PC and Mac office and customer relationship management software programs
- Solid organizational skills; able to juggle and prioritize projects and tasks
- Strong attention to detail and ability to keep accurate records
- Strong team player that works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions
- Comfortable communicating with all partners at all levels
- Flexible to change while managing and supporting multiple projects concurrently
- Proactive and demonstrates strong initiative; able to work day-to-day workflow with minimal supervision
- Public Relations WriterMelbourne, FL (Kennedy Space Center area)
The B2B Writer will be responsible for writing about various topics related to the ISS National Lab in a wide range of content vehicles (outlined below). This content will support the ISS National Lab’s overall marketing and communications efforts, presenting a consistent brand presence in the marketplace. The candidate will also execute marketing and public relations initiatives. The position will require occasional travel to events or other outward-facing CASIS-sponsored activities and will report to and support the Public Affairs and Outreach Lead.
- Messaging - Thoroughly understand and communicate the ISS National Lab vision and mission to enhance the organization's visibility.
- External Communications – Research, develop and write materials such as press releases, blogs, success stories, videos, emails, collateral material, and pitches.
- Internal Communications – Support the development of key messages for internal communication materials. Draft briefing materials that connect the business units with consistent messaging
- Social Media - Assist in developing and executing social media strategy to further the ISS National Lab research initiatives.
- Vendor Relations – Assist with external vendors by creating and providing feedback on project estimates, timelines, and content as needed.
- NASA Public Affairs – Support the Lead with communications and public affairs opportunities with NASA Public Affairs, along with the dissemination of messaging on ISS National Lab priorities
- Research and create media and industry lists for content pitching and distribution.
- Support external events
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or similar, with 5-years of relevant work experience
- Experience in writing press releases with a B2B agency or PR firm
- Experience in social media
- Good people skills and experience working with B2B media/editors and ability to assist in providing deeper content for their articles
- Experience working with companies in a Q&A approach and ability to ascertain their value proposition for the story
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, with solid project management skills
- Experience working with R&D (science and engineering communities)
- Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) Certified
- Able to multitask and work on multiple stories at a time
- Experience in and a passion for the space industry
- Ability to write ad copy
- Ability to learn new technology systems quickly and efficiently
- Ability to focus and get things done while juggling a wide range of tasks
- Highly energetic and enthusiastic with a solid work ethic
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- A natural inclination to stay connected on email, SMS, phone
- Resource Utilization and Planning LeadHouston, TX (Johnson Space Center)
Oversees, coordinates, and manages the operational and logistical aspects of CASIS-sponsored ISS payloads and other projects as assigned. Leads payload utilization, prioritization, and ISS National Lab resource management efforts. Serves as liaison between principal investigators, commercial entities, implementation partners, NASA points of contact, and CASIS functional areas. Reviews status of projects, manages schedules and conducts technical meetings. Develops mechanisms for monitoring project progress and intervention and problem-solving. Supports and coordinates planning, scheduling, budgeting, implementation, and payload integration from pre-flight to post-flight.
Travel: The candidate must be willing to travel approximately 10% of the time
- Manage the Resource Utilization and Planning System (RUPS), which includes ISS NL resource allocation, preparing for and presenting at the RUPS Working Group, and maintaining and upgrading the code behind RUPS.
- Development of ISS NL Research Plans and planning products
- Reviews status of projects, manages schedules and conducts technical meetings on behalf of the Director of Payload Operations.
- Provide customer service and liaison between principal investigators, commercial entities, implementation partners, NASA points of contact, and CASIS functional areas.
- Support potential Principal Investigators of the ISS U.S. National Laboratory in developing proposals by utilizing the Implementation Partner Portal.
- Conduct operations feasibility and ISS utilization reviews on behalf of the payload operations department.
- Provide project management and oversight to support the development and implementation of spaceflight projects to the ISS.
- Assist in the development of experiment-related documents and other payload products required for technical integration of payload hardware and other materials to be flown to the ISS.
- Participate in NASA meetings in support of research planning and payload integration activities.
- Support and attend technical conferences and outreach events as required.
Minimum 5 years of work-related experience with NASA Research Integration or payload development experience.
A bachelor's degree in engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Science WriterMelbourne, FL (Kennedy Space Center area)
The Science Writer will provide expertise in the development of purposeful content for International Space Station (ISS) U.S. National Laboratory communications. This individual will support multiple projects, including the creation of content explaining the cutting-edge science and technology development conducted on the ISS as well as key research findings. The individual will work in a collaborative team setting, writing, and editing content for a wide range of media, including print, digital, video, and social.
- Provide topics and content for dedicated pages on the website. Tasks may include reviewing the current and past science portfolio and communicating details about space-based science and its potential commercial applications.
- Providing writing and copyediting support for content targeting business-to-business audiences as well as other audiences, including the scientific community, CASIS stakeholders, and the public. Content may include scientific and technical material, solicitations, collateral, presentations, writing for scientific and b2b publications, and technical reports.
- Gather, review, and document organizational and science portfolio data for quarterly and annual fiscal reporting.
- Provide other science communications support as necessary (e.g., for conferences, webinars, targeted campaigns, grant writing, etc.).
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including impeccable grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- 2-3 years of science/technical writing experience
- Knowledge of AP style
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and work with minimal supervision in a collaborative and positive team environment
- A self-starter with the ability to create content quickly and manage time to meet deadlines
- Experience with and knowledge of various social media platforms
- Track record in creating engaging and compelling content
- A collaborative team player who values the success of the whole team in addition to their own success
- A continuous learner
Desired Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in communications, English, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Web Designer - Internship or Recent Grad Project Remote
We’re in the process of developing a microsite for the CASIS STEM Education team supporting their Expedition Space Lab initiative. We are seeking an intern who would like to start a path to career readiness or a recent graduate seeking project-based work to enhance their portfolio.
You will have the opportunity to work on a real project and have access to creative and meaningful mentors.
The short-term assignment is remote and entails the following:
The website layout should include a landing page that is divided into 3 main sections:
- Elementary - Astronaut Candidates
- Middle School - Mission Specialists
- High School - Mission Commanders
Each main section will contain 4 categories of scientific study:
- Life Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Earth and Space Sciences
- Engineering, Technology and Application of Science
Each section will contain links to lessons, resources, videos, articles, and interactives. Educators will select tasks for students to complete for each "mission."
- Ideally, these will all be standards-aligned and easily searchable to improve user experience
- Interactive component to allow educators to create a customizable "mission"
- Include a section where educators can obtain information about the grant-funded portion of Expedition Space Lab
- Resources should include: sample budget, application, grant criteria, and support documents to help educators to solicit their own funding for their own Space Lab
Must be a full-time student or a recent graduate. Must be a U.S. Citizen or authorized to work in the United States.
About the ISS National Lab
The Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) is the manager of the ISS National Lab. CASIS is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
We manage the International Space Station National Laboratory as a public service in order to benefit the U.S. taxpayer and to foster a scalable and sustainable low Earth orbit economy. We leverage our core competencies, facilitate public-private partnerships, and utilize the platform capabilities and unique operating environment of the space station. We create demand, incubate in-space business ventures, provide access for and awareness of discovery science and technological innovation, and promote science literacy of the future workforce.
Start your future now. For more information, please send inquiries to email@example.com.