- Middle School
- Earth and Space Observation
- Engineering and Robotics
- Life Sciences
- Student Experiments
Magnitude makes STEM education exciting for teachers and students with a satellite that fits in a soda can: the CanSat. Extend the in-class experience of Science and Mathematics with a turn-key instrumented CanSat, and finish your semester with a high powered rocket launch or high altitude balloon. This is a complete hands-on experience mapped to Common Core and Next Generation Science standards by UC Davis, School of Education. Flight ready hardware, lesson plans, and student labs are included.
The curriculum covers learning about instrument sensors such as accelerometers, barometric, humidity, temperature, magnetometer sensors, and GPS. Students will learn about mission planning, Data analysis, mission hypothesis, science communication and science writing.
Magnitude.io and the UC Davis School of Education have developed a science curriculum to accompany the CANSAT launch kit appropriate for students in grades 6-12. The CANSAT curriculum places students in the midst of a scientific exploration mission culminating in a rocket or balloon launch of a scientific payload and the analysis of the resulting data. Students participate in every step of a scientific exploration mission, including:
- Determining and communicating mission and scientific objectives
- Determining and communicating scientific hypotheses
- Evaluating and choosing scientific instrument payloads
- Flight testing aspects of the launch and scientific systems
- Anticipating data recovery and data analysis needs and designing required protocol
- Launch and recovery of the scientific payload
- Mission data analysis
- Communicating scientific results