the ISS National Lab offers many support services to enable efficient execution of space science initiatives, even for first-time users. In accordance with its cooperative agreement with NASA, the ISS National Lab assists investigators in transforming their R&D objectives into manifested payloads. Services include solicitation and coordination of implementation partners, identification of and facilitation in acquiring required hardware and software, access to state-of-the-art laboratories, coordination of ground-based work, and coordination with NASA. the ISS National Lab facilitates these processes, coordinating the support and assistance you need to transition the experiments from your lab into payloads that will be launched and delivered directly to the ISS.
Moreover, the ISS National Lab provides—without charge—access to in-orbit facilities, data processing capabilities, and crew time for experiments. In parallel, NASA supplies transport and in-orbit resources within the available capacity and without additional cost.
In addition to overall project management, the ISS National Lab facilitates the following specific support services:
PREFLIGHT Support Services
Before research on the ISS begins, the ISS National Lab offers ground-based products and services for grantees to assist with science definition and payload development. the ISS National Lab can facilitate:
- Access to a large repository of previous space experiments that align with promising commercial development and innovation (for example, see the NASA station research page and the publication library on this site)
- Collaboration with experienced payload developers and other subject matter experts to (1) ensure successful experiments and completion of all mission requirements; (2) provide payload integration support; and (3) coordinate with NASA in crew training, procedure development, and timeline activities planning
- Help in finding resources for compliance with export control regulations
- Access to a state-of-the-art facility offering specialized capabilities for payload verification testing and pre-launch processing
- Coordination with NASA and launch vehicle providers for production of an integrated schedule
IN-FLIGHT Support Services
During flight, the ISS National Lab offers project management services and support for product development to facilitate the interface between the investigator, the implementation partner, and NASA:
- Coordination of “real time” in-orbit payload operations
Development of data and software interfaces
- Coordination of contingency planning and mission changes to preserve science objectives
POSTFLIGHT Support Services
After completion of research on the ISS, the ISS National Lab may facilitate additional services:
- Identification of appropriate facilities for post-processing activities
- Coordination with implementation partners to ensure that all postflight data and report requirements are submitted to NASA and the investigator in a timely fashion
- Help in finding resources for intellectual property identification, registration, and protection
- Coordination of in situ experiment termination, including cold stowage, fixation, and data analysis
- Coordination and collaboration with the investigator to ensure overall project success
More On Payload Integration
The ISS National Laboratory Office provides investigators with the requirements for payload development and testing, the manifest process and payload integration. Although these processes may seem challenging to investigators that are newcomers to the world of payload integration, the ISS National Lab and its Implementation Partner community are here to guide investigators through the process in an efficient and cost-effective manner. the ISS National Lab and the investigator-selected implementation partner will collaborate and focus on the technical payload-development, manifesting, and integration activities, thereby allowing the researcher to focus on the planning, design, and execution of a successful project/investigation.